Thursday

Context matters.

The Wife and I were looking for apartments to rent in London last week. We must have met around 6 real estate agents and seen many more properties. One of the noticeable aspects of the sales process was how important context was to the types of questions asked by the agents.

Only 1 out of the 6 agents asked us how many houses we had seen earlier. When you think about it, the answer to that question determines a lot. If it was the first house we were seeing, it would take something exceptional for us to say yes. If it's the 20th house, we have a lot of reference points to compare the property to. Obtaining this background allowed the agent to customize how she was showing us the properties. Incidentally, we ended up picking a house she showed.

Companies that sell their products online should operate in a very similar way, and the process is faster as well. If I were purchasing shoes, I should be shown related products that match my interest. Depending on where I am in the purchase process, I would be interested in exploring other options, or quickly hone in to the exact product. Either way, the site should be ready to accomodate my needs and consider the context. I feel that most sites do a inadequate job of determining this. Amazon does it well. If you have a business where you are selling products online, how well do you take care of context?

No comments:

Post a Comment